Successful Relationships Tips
By Staci Lee Schnell, M.S., C.S., LMFT
February 13, 2014
With Valentine’s Day coming up, it is a good time to discuss some tips for sustaining long term relationships successfully. Marriage is like a roller coaster; it has its ups and downs and it’s a wild ride that can be scary and amazing all at the same time. I hope you and your partner enjoy the ride of a lifetime!
- 1. Take Care of You First: Eat right, exercise, and get plenty of rest. Taking care of your own needs first will actually allow you to be more giving to and caring of your partner.
- 2. Say “I Love You”: Saying these three powerful words can provide the security and happiness your partner needs and it simply says that you care.
- 3. Touch Your Partner: Giving a hug or hand holding gives your partner that warm affectionate feeling inside and shows you are happy your partner is there with you.
- 4. Appreciation and Gratitude: Tell your partner “I am proud of you” and “I admire you”. Thank your partner for all your partner does, whether it’s financial, family, or household support.
- 5. Date Night: Don’t forget to have alone time so you can enjoy each other’s company. Sharing your daily stories with one another keeps you close and bonded.
- 6. Fight Fair: Couples that agree to disagree are healthy communicators. Don’t hold feelings in, tell your partner how you are feeling so things can change for the better.